To provide the learner with the knowledge, practical skills and understanding required to provide and co-ordinate first aid in the workplace in compliance with the requirements of the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (General Application) Regulations 2007; Part 7, Chapter 2 : First Aid.
Our Occupational First Aid Course meets the requirements of the syllabus for QQI Award Level 5 Occupational First Aid as set down by the Health and Safety Authority.
Learners who successfully complete the course will:
- Understand the responsibilities of an Occupational First Aider.
- Be able to provide treatment for the purpose of preserving life or minimising the consequences of injury until discharge or the arrival of medical assistance.
- Be able to provide treatment in the workplace for an injury which does not require the attention of a medical practitioner or nurse.
- Be capable of co-ordinating first aid arrangements in the workplace.
- Be familiar with health and safety legislation on first aid provision in the workplace.
Unit 1 – First in the Workplace.
Unit 2 – Patient Assessment.
Unit 3 – Respiratory Emergencies.
Unit 4 – Cardiac First Response.
Unit 5 – Wounds and Bleeding.
Unit 6 – Altered Levels of Consciousness.
Unit 7 – Muscloskeletal Injuries.
Unit 8 – Burns and scalds, chemicals, electric shock.
Course De-Brief and Assessment.
This programme requires a high level of trainee participation and interaction where the theory is enhanced by practical demonstration of skills and practical application by trainees.
Assessment & Certification:
- Certification assessments (theory and practical) will be held on Day 3 of the course.
- Unit assessments will be performed as per unit.
- Certificates are valid for 2 years.